Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Harry Valentine Inwood Wicks 1880 - 1917

Harry Valentine Inwood Wicks Barnsley Independent 28 April 1917
with thanks to Barnsley Archives

Military Service:
Regiment and Battalion: East Surrey Regiment 11th Battalion (previously in the 13th Kensington Battalion of the London Regiment)
Rank: Second Lieutenant (previously Corporal 1435)

Entered Theatre of War:  France 3 November 1914
Awards: British War Medal, Victory Medal and the 1914 Star.

Death:  2nd April 1917 age 27
CWGC Remembered: Arras Memorial

Panel Reference: Bay 6

Information from Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
Son of Henry Thomas and Constance Janetta Wicks, of "Danecote", Barnard's Green, Great Malvern, Worcs. Enlisted in 1914.

St Marys Church Barnsley Combined War Memorial

Barnsley, St Paul's Church, Old Town, WW1 memorial

Links & Notes:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Lives of the First World War
Imperial War Museum WW1 Portraits Collection

Barnsley Chronicle 28th April 1917 with thanks to Barnsley Archives

"Much sympathy is felt in Barnsley and district with Mr. and Mrs. H T Wicks of "Danecote" Barnsley, who have suffered a sad bereavement by the death in action of their only son, Second-Lieut. H.V.I. Wicks.  The gallant officer, who was 27 years of age, had seen much service in France, having left for the front on November 3rd 1914.  When war broke out he was a corporal in the Kensington London Territorials, and at once signed on for foreign service.  After nearly a year's service he was, on September 9th 1915 gazetted Second-Lieut. in the East Surrey Regiment.  On April 10th 1916 he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, and took part in the fighting on the Somme at Delville Wood, High Wood and Flers, during August and September.  He was on the Great Push near Arras, and April 9th took part in the successful advance on the south end of Vimy Ridge.  Three days later (April 12th) he was firing his machine-gun to support a further advance when he was shot through the head.  He was taken to the village of Fampoux where he died, having never regained consciousness.  His body was laid to rest in the village."

It is noted on 2nd Lieut. Wicks medal record that his father applied for his late son's medals and later for his 1914 clasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment